Suffolk Constabulary recently sent local Virtual Policing members a survey about their views on TASER and its use across Suffolk . A total 676 members responded, and we would like to take this opportunity to thank them all for taking part.
The findings from the survey are as follows:
- How safe do you feel in the area where you live?
92.5% (619/669) feel very/fairly safe in the area where you live.
- Thinking about all types of crime how concerned are you about being a victim of crime?
43.1% (288/668) are ‘not very concerned' about being a victim of crime. However, 42.4% (283/668) did say they were ‘fairly concerned'
- Do you know what TASER looks like?
Nearly three quarters of those surveyed (493/662) were aware of what TASER looks like.
- How safe would you feel if you saw an officer carrying TASER?
Two thirds of you said you would feel safe if you saw an officer carrying TASER during the day, at night, whilst policing large events or attending an incident.
- How confident would you be approaching an officer who is carrying TASER?
79.2% (527/665) would feel very/fairly confident in approaching an officer who is carrying a TASER.
- Do you think the roll out of TASER will make you feel more confident or less that police are dealing effectively with crime in Suffolk?
Over half of you (369/662) think the roll out of TASER will make you feel more confident the police are dealing effectively with crime in Suffolk.
- Important to ensure that TASER is used correctly and in an appropriate situation. Only as a last resort and not as a routine measure
- The officers using TASER need to be trained to a high standard on how to use it and also when to use TASER. Guidelines should be given to both authorities and the general public to ensure they are understood by all
- People are concerned that using TASER on those with heart conditions as well as other medical conditions could have detrimental health effects or potentially cause death
- If used correctly it will be good for protection for the police officers and the general public as well as acting as a deterrent to offenders.
We hope that you find this feedback interesting, and once again we thank you for taking the time to help support Suffolk Constabulary.
If you would like to discuss this, or any other topics, please do not hesitate to contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org